If my car exploded, is there something that can be done with the car manufacturer?

My car has had no real work done everything is still original from the manufacturer and it’s only 5 years old. 3 nights ago we were awakened by the fire Dept. telling us to exit our home because the car caught fire. They told us it is possible due to a battery/alternator problem. The only thing we have done to the car is change the battery – a year ago – when it died. This seems to be something out of the norm and I was not sure where we stand in the situation.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Accident Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether you have the basis for a lawsuit against the car manufacturer regarding the fire that arose from your car depends upon what fire and mechanical experts conclude.

There will most likely be a fire report generated by the fire department concerning the fire at your home. Most likely your insurance carrier will retain an expert for an investigation as to the cause of the fire as well.

Depending upon the opinions of the experts you will then most likely have the basis to explore if anyone was negligent for the fire that happened. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.