If my buyer is a foreigner and wants to purchase a property in the US, should he just put his name as married man on the contract or also put it in his wife’s name?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is not my call to say how the foreign national who wishes to buy your real property should take title to it upon close of escrow as either in his, his wife's, an entity's or joint names. The foreign national should consult with a real estate attorney as to this title issue as well as the protocol of purchasing real property in this country and the need for due diligence and inspections by the buyer before escrow's close.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.