If my brother was sexually abused as a child and it’s been 15years since the incident, is there something we can do?

All this came out 5 years ago. We tried prosecuting but the DA said because it had been more than 10 years since the incident, the abuser had to confess or there was no case. The abuser did not confess and our case was dropped. Is there anything else we can do?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


Henry Repay / Law Offices of Henry Repay

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A civil lawsuit may be filed, but that would come down to whether there is a limitations period that applies.  These types of cases have interesting rules concerning limitations, but it would come down to your brother's age, this coming to light, the jurisdiction involved, etc.  You would still face issues of proof, but the standard is lower in a civil lawsuit.  The scope of this space does not afford an adequate opportunity to respond.  An attorney would need to meet with you and agree to take your case in order to assume any responsibility.  The more time that goes by, the less likely that a case, if any, can be pursued.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.