What to do if my brother was named trustee in our late grandmother’s irrevocable Trust and he does not want to give me what my grandmother set up for me?

I was listed in it as a beneficiary.

Asked on March 4, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your brother for breach of trust, have him removed as trustee, and have a successor trustee appointed.  Another alternative is to seek a declaratory judgment from the court ordering your brother (the trustee) to comply with the terms of the Trust and give you what your grandmother had intended in the Trust.

If the Trust includes procedures for removal of the trustee and appointment of a successor trustee, those procedures should be followed.  If the Trust is silent as to removal of the trustee and appointment of a successor trustee, your lawsuit for breach of trust and removal of your brother as trustee can also request that the court appoint a successor trustee.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.