What to o if my brother was arrested and charged with both D and F felonies?

His felony charges were determined after an initial hearing before the judge yesterday. Now he has a second hearing next week. Are we supposed to be looking for a lawyer or is he going to be appointed a public defender? How can we find out what are we supposed to do?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

With two or more felony counts, it is highly advisable for you brother to either retain a criminal defense attorney in your area, or if the court determines that he cannot afford counsel, the court will appoint him one. A felony conviction can cause severe damage to your criminal record and future opportunities, so he wants to have counsel help navigate his case to a successful resolution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.