Can my brother’s soon-to-be ex-wife take the kids and enroll them in another school district?

She came in, took the kids, all their stuff and left. She has enrolled them in a school in a different county. What does my brother have to do to re-enroll them in their former school district?

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as your brother's children are enrolled in schools in another county he has little say at this point subject to a court order changing where the children are to attend school unless there is a violation of some existing court order in place as to them. Given what you have written about, I suggest that your brother consult with a family law attorney as to how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.