If mine and my brother’s names are on the deed to my mother’s house, does she need his signature to put it back in her name?

A few years ago my mother was going through some financial problems and put her house in my brother’s and my name. She is financially stable now and still lives in the house. She would like it put back in her nam, but she and my brother have had a falling out and are not on good terms.

Asked on May 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your brother's signature would be needed in order to transfer the house back in to your Mother's name.  He would have to sign the deed.  If she recalls when she transferred it in to your names only she had to sign the deed. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.