If my brother qualified for voluntary departure to Mexico, can he come back?

He left a year ago. I did some research and it stated that he can come back if he didn’t commit any crimes in the US such as crimes involving narcotics, firearms, sex crimes, crimes of violence or multiple DUI’s. So is this true? If so, what can we do? My parents are US citizens; does that do anything?

Asked on February 9, 2013 under Immigration Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you brother does not have a visa to enter into the United States he cannot legally do so. If he desires to come back to this country he needs to apply for the appropriate visa to return to this country through the nearest American consulate near him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.