What to do if my brother never had my mother’s Will read?

His lawyer sent us paperwork which included a copy of the Will (2.5 years later), so that we can sign off on property. He did not share the contents of the home as stated in the Will. What can I do? I did not sign the paperwork.

Asked on February 1, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Wills are not read in California. Was a probate filed to administer the will provisions? If yes or no, you need to consult a lawyer as to your options, and do not sign the document you describe until you have had proper and good legal advice of your options. Sounds like some sloppy paperwork by the lawyer for not having notified you in 2.5 years.  in regards to the estate progress to conclusion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.