If my brother lives in my grandparent’s home and the property has been signed over to me, how do I legally evict him from the property?

He pays no rent and there is no lease in place.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your brother now resides in a unit that you own per recorded title all by yourself and you want him out, then you need to serve him with a thirty (30) day notice of eviction from the unit (termination of oral tenancy). If he does not move out within the next thirty (30) days after service of the eviction, then you need to consult with a landlord tenant attorney to further assist you in getting an unlawful detainer matter filed with the court against your brother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.