How to settle my brother’s affairs if he passed without a Will, was single and had no children?

Both of our parents are still living.

Asked on February 28, 2012 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your brother died intestate and the intestacy statutes in your state will govern.  Generally in this situation the parents will inherit everything.  Now, some one needs to file a petition to be appointed as the personal representative of the estate in the probate court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  All assets are to be marshalled and all debts paid prior to distribution.  If the estate is under s acertain amount of money then it may qualify as a small estate proceeding.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.