What to do if my brother-in-law moved to another state 6 months ago but just found out he has an active warrant in the state where he used to live?

Is there a way to take care of it where he now lives or does he have to go back? He doesn’t have financial means to hire a lawyer.

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your brother needs to get the warrant recalled and the underlying criminal matter resolved. If he cannot afford to hire an attorney then he should consult with the local legal aid clinic where he resides for advice as to how to go about the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.