If my brother-in-law has on-set dementia, what legal forms does she need to get and fill out before he is no longer able to understand what he is doing?

After finding the forms and filling them out we will have an attorney and notary sign them. We don’t have them money to hire an attorney to do the entire process. Any help would be appreciated.

Asked on June 19, 2014 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are doing a little estate planning and that is a good thing.  There are many organizations that can help you plan with out the need to spend money on huge legal fees. Please seek them out.  What you should do is gather all his important legal documents and put them in one place. At the very least have him execute a Durable Power of Attorney, a Living Will, and Medical Directives (like a Do Not Resuscitate order). If you can discuss a Living Trust or a Life Estate in real property with some one please try.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.