What to do if my brother has abused his power of attorney of my mother’s financial affairs by taking all available liquidated assets and purchasing himself a pawn shop?

He has instructed her nursing home to not allow me to talk to her. I am in another state. Can I petition the court for a conservator and appear via computer video court from home or request a change of venue?

Asked on February 28, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your brother has violated his fiduciary duty as attorney in fact and/or otherwise violated the POA, then if your mother is incompetent, you can appy for a legal guardian. (If she is mentally competent, *she* could take legal action against your brother, but you cannot--as a legal competent adult, it would be her choice what to do.) As for how to do this--retain an elder law attorney in your mother's state and let the lawyer guide you--this is not a simple thing to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.