What to do if my brother just passed away but I haven’t gotten the full details of how he died since his wife is non-cooperative?

On the night in question, she had stated that he was in a room and he shouted that his chest was causing him a lot of pain. She replied that he only had gas and to take an aspirin but if it continued then she would do something about it. He continued to tell her that his chest was hurting really bad; then there was no sound and he was gone. He had just come out of the hospital for related heart problems just days earlier. This is a troubling case to and I will not rest until I get to the bottom of this man’s demise. How can I get a copy of his medical records legally?

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Personal Injury, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation. In order to be able to legally obtain his records you would need to be appointed as the personal representative of his estate.  Then you would have the legal authority to act. You need to know that his wife would have priority to be appointed as the PR of his estate.  I would speak with an attorney in your area on the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.