What to do about items taken from an estate?

My brother died but told me before he died that he had a Will. The week he died my other brother (who I think is the PR) went into my deceased brother’s home and removed items, including vehicles and a motorcycle. He did not tell me he was going to do it and I have no idea what he took or what was in there. I have asked for a copy of the Will but have not received one. What can I do? Can I make a police report? He has stolen these items. I also asked for a list of what he took and an inventory of the house which he has not given me.

Asked on February 1, 2013 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Youi need to obtain probate litigation counsel to assist you in filing a petition in to probate court to administer the estate and to obtain an accounting of the prooperties the brother has taken from the estate. In addition,  file a criminal complaint with the district asttorney of your county for theft and embezzlement of property from the estate; that should bring him into compliance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.