What to do if my brother and I bought a house but he never gave me his half of the money and now for family problems I want to sell the house but doesn’t want to?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you submit a promissory note with interest stated for the amount that you advanced on your brother's behalf to him. If he refuses you have a dilema in that he presumably is on title to the property yet has not paid his freight for it. I suggest that you and he both consult with a real estate attorney for guidance where your brother buys the unit from you in its entirety.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.