What to do if y boyfriend was put on misdemeanor probation for 2 years but he has since absconded and a warrant has been issued for motion to revoke his probation?

His previous lawyer assured him that if/ when he is arrested he just sits it out that it will only be a matter of 4 months or so in county jail. He does not want to or plan to comply with the probation stipulations. That being said I was wondering if it would even be possible for him to retain another lawyer and in some way absolve him of the probation. His fees have all been paid in full for the whole length of the 2 year supervision if that makes a difference.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your boyfriend is not comfortable with his current criminal defense attorney about the situation that you have written about, then by all means he should retain a different one that he will be better suited with. A formal substitution of counsel will need to be made. I suggest he start interviewing for new legal counsel to help with his current situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.