What to do if my boyfriend was on probation but received a letter for the county saying he no longer had to report to his officer, however it was mistakenly sent?

The letter stated that he no longer had to report to his officer or do any other probation related things. He was previously offered a job out of state but couldn’t take because of probation but after receiving the letter he decided to go ahead and go. A few days ago his PO stopped by the house because he hadn’t reported we explained what happened and he said it was a mistake so now he issued a warrant for his arrest. Is there anything we can do to keep him out of jail?

Asked on July 3, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your boyfriend immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney in the locality where the criminal action is venued to assist him in getting the mistakenly issues bench warrant recalled. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com. Having the attorney get the bench warrant recalled will help prevent your boyfriend from being jailed.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.