If my boyfriend was driving my car and was stopped for speeding, if he didn’t know where his insurance card was, can I bring proof of insurance prior to the court date and just pay off the ticket?

He was told by the officer he was not allowed to call me to ask. Now he has a court date for the speeding ticket. We want to avoid court costs and I feel the police officer was in the wrong telling him he couldn’t make a call to find his insurance card. He is insured on my insurance.

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Insurance Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The officer cannot use intimidation; you need to report that officer to his commanding officer. Take the proof of insurance to court and see if you can simply pay the ticket and move on. Or contact the court and see if providing proof of insuranc will be sufficient if that was his ticket. You may need to pay the speeding ticket if he was also fined for speeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.