What to do if my boyfriend was arrested yesterday for fleeing the scene of an accident?

He scraped a car in a parking lot and for some reason didn’t think it was a big deal. He returned to the scene after the cops called his phone and was arrested. He fully admitted to hitting the other car and leaving. Is this a criminal charge?What will the consequences be like?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written it appears that your boyfriend very well could have committed a crime of hit and run which is a criminal act. I suggest that your boyfriend consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent him in the matter you have written about.

Potentially if convicted of the crime, he could be sentenced for up to six (6) months in jail and/or fined a $1,000.00.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.