What is my boyfriend’s liability if he recently got into a car accident while test driving a car from a car dealership?

It was not his fault and the police report states that he was not liable. Today the dealership called me asking for us to file a claim with our insurance company because the person responsible for the accident doesn’t carry valid insurance. The insurance my boyfriend has is through his employer, not specific to anyone because we drive a fleet vehicle. are we held responsible for this accident?

Asked on September 30, 2014 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your boyfriend is not liable for the accident because the other party was at fault.

The reason the dealer wants your boyfriend to file a claim with his own (employer's) insurance company is that this is an uninsured motorist claim since the at-fault party did not have insurance.  An uninsured motorist claim does NOT mean that your boyfriend is at fault; it is only filed because the at-fault party did not have insurance.  Your boyfriend's insurance will pay the cost of repairs to the car.  That insurance company will then sue the at-fault party to recover the amount it paid on the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.