If my boyfriend of 20 years died leaving no Will or any other information and I paid for the funeral, how do I get reimbursed?

Or does the state get everything that might be available. There are no living relatives.

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Estate Planning, Michigan


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can be reimbursed from his estate as you are a creditor of his estate.  If you are a joint owner on any assets (like a house or bank account), that asset is now yours - no estate needed.  If he had assets in his name alone, someone will have to open an estate to distribute the assets.

If your boyfriend had assets in his name alone, I suggest you consult with an estate attorney in your area to advise you.  You should be able to find an attorney who will give you a free consultation.

Good luck.  I am sorry for your loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.