If my boyfriend lives in Haiti and is currently serving deportation time, were we to get married could it shorten his deportation time?

If not, when he serves his full term could it give him a better chance of being granted access back to the states?

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, if he is subject to a 3 or 10 year bar for having been unlawfully present in the US, he will only be eligible for a visa to the US once he has satisfied the terms of his deportation order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.