What to do if my ex-boyfriend kicked me out when I was 6 months pregnant and is now fighting for custody?

He never wanted the baby at all. He never contacted me after he kicked me out ever or even tried to. The day after he was already dating someone else. He found out I was living with a girlfriend that he doesn’t like and I heard now that he’s fighting for custody of my baby. He never wanted this baby at all. He never came to any Dr’s appt’s or touched my belly or anything. He didn’t care at all. Now he wants custody. I want nothing from him and my son will have my last name because he didn’t want him to begin with. He and his mother kept telling me to get an abortion. Will he get custody?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the difficult situation that you are in I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to give you guidance as to your matter. Potentially the "ex" may end up with some semblance of child custody. However, he will owe for support as well. I suggest that you consider filing a petition for child support of your child against the "ex".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.