What to do if my boyfriend is up on felony intimidation charges?

To make a long story short, when him and his ex broke up, almost a year ago, he said some nasty things to her. She filed a restraining order and 8 months later the state is charging him with felony intimidation. He has been denied a public defender and we can’t afford a lawyer. We have also tried to contact to county attorney for negotiation but have received little to no response. What should be our next step? We have consulted all the criminal lawyers in our area and they all want a lot more up front than we can pay.

Asked on October 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, Montana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the difficult situation that your significant other has found himself in due to the absence of finances he should consult with the local legal aid clinic in his community to see what can be done where he is afforded some semblance of legal representation or the nearest law school. Law schools sometimes have programs to assist those in need like your boyfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.