If my boyfriend is turning 18 and I am only 15, how can we stay together?

My boyfriend of three years is turning eighteen in a couple of days. I am only fifteen though, I don’t want to have to break up, please help me find a way so we can still be together. We aren’t sexually active.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As long as you are under 18, your parents have control over what you do and who you see.  If they are okay with you two dating, and you don't have sex, then there is no problem.

In California, sex involving any person under the age of 18 is statutory rape.  You can date as long as you are not sexually active.  If you two do have sex, both of you (not just him) could be charged with statory rape under CA Penal Code 261.5.  Your boyfriend would most likely get up to a year in jail. 



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.