If my boyfriend is not the biological fatherof my son and wants to be removed from the birth certificate, what’s the quickest way to do so?

My boyfriend and I took an at home paternity test and found out he wasn’t the biological father and wants to be removed from the birth certificate. He will be getting out of the marine corps in about 2 weeks and will be moving out of state. He and wants to do this before he leaves.

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally, you are requesting a "corrected" birth certificate and most states have an application for filing of same.  But I would check with ana ttorney in your rea about removing the "putative" father's name, becuase you may indeed need a court to estatblish that he is NOT the father and order the birth certificate changed.  Such is the case in Michigan.  It makes sense to add this very important legal step if you think about it.  Otherwise it could be done with otu recourse by all.  PS  Get a real DNA test fdone. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.