If my boyfriend is in country jail on a charge of Attempted Theft By Deception but he grand jury met and did not indict him, what does this mean for him?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maine


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the decision by the grand jury.  If the grand jury refused to indict your boyfriend (or no-bill him), then he should be released without the necessity of the bond.  If the grand jury held off making a decision because they wanted more information or to continue considering the case, then your boyfriend will have to continue to remain in jail.   If they still cannot make a decision in the next month or so, then he may be able to get a bond reduction so that he can be released pending bond while they finally decide what to do with his case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.