If my boyfriend is here on a student visa from Lebanon and it will expire soon, how can I get him to stay in the country besides us getting married?

Asked on October 8, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You cannot do anything unless you get married and it is a bona fide marriage and then you petition for his permanent residence on the basis of that marriage.  If he wants to stay but you are not ready to get married, he can either continue his studies until such time as he can get a job and can be petitioned by the employer for a work visa on the basis of that job offer.  If he has a claim for political asylum, he can try that as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.