My boyfriend is getting a VA loan for house we are buying together. How can I be legally protected for half ownership?

If I buy a home with my boyfriend but it
will be in his name only VA loan, how
can we assure that I have a legal right
to the home? I will be paying half of

Asked on May 26, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If it's in his name only, you will have no legal right to the home. You can enter into an agreement with him under which he will repay you the money if you cease living there and/or when the home is sold, but if he violates the agreement, all you could do is sue him personally--i.e. such an agreement does not give you any legally enforceable right to the home. Only being on the title gives you a legally enforceable right to the home. You may wish to not do this, but rather wait until the two of you can qualify for a mortgage that would allow you to be on the title.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.