If my boyfriend is accused of committing a crime and I was present, since I was subpoenaed to testify against him can I plead the 5th?

I do not want to incriminate myself.

Asked on March 12, 2013 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can always invoke you 5th Amemdment Right against self-incrimination and refuse to answer any question or testify under oath if you believe your answer will indeed incriminate you. If you are testifying at a trial, the judge can have you speak with a attorney to determine if your answer will indeed incriminate you, but you can always invoke your 5th Amendment right. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.