If my boyfriend is a permanent resident here but has gotten into legal trouble, does that mean he is getting deported?

He has been in trouble with the law before, but this time he got charged with several drug charges last year. I have his criminal record with his old and current charges, and one says illegal alien. He is currently in Dallas county jail and has an immigration hold on him. Since we have a 2 year old daughter, is there anything we can do to keep him here?

Asked on March 28, 2015 under Immigration Law, Texas


Ling Dai / The Dai Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A thorough examination of his criminal records is necessary to answer this question. He may be able to apply for a criminal offense waiver, but again not all offenses can be waived for immigration purposes. It also depends on whether he is entitled to relief based on homself or qualifying family relationship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.