What to do if my boyfriend entered the US legally but has overstayed his welcome?

We want to get married but dont have the money yet. Could we go through a civil marriage and apply for his residency even if we are not living together yet?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Immigration Law, Colorado


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hello. Cohabitation is a requirement for a marriage based green card. You should be living together as husband and wife after you marry (baring some military or unusual situation).  The USCIS will expect you to live together as a normal couple after you marry and file for the case. If you have any questions, feel free to email anytime: harun@ksvisalaw.com

Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the marriage is bona fide - yes. Do NOt go through the ceremony simply to obtain the Green Card. But if you will live as husband and wife - I will be glad to help. You may write to me directly at meltser@bmlaw.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.