If my boyfriend and I just broke up and I’m worried that he won’t give me my cat back, what can I do and what are my rights?

Asked on September 10, 2015 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement that you would get the cat, and/or it was your personal cat, not a joint cat, then he way to get the cat from him would be to sue him you would sue based on breach of contract violation of the agreement or for a form of theft e.g. "conversion," or holding onto property which belongs to you but which he had custody of. A lawsuit is the only way to get back property when there is a dispute over who as the right to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.