My boyfriend and I bought a house together two years ago and are now splitting up. Does he get more if he paid more into it when we sell the house?

While he did pay more, I did more work maintaing the house. The house is under both of our names. How can I ensure that we can get an even split?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you can't work this out ahead of time, and have a short letter agreement that both of you sign, then you might have to take him to court.  How a court might rule on your case, I can't say, without detailed factual information;  your boyfriend might be entitled to more than half.  You should talk to a lawyer, who can go review the entire case, for reliable advice about this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.