If my boyfriend and I bought a house together 4 years ago and I want to break up with him but he won’t leave, what are my legal rights?

Asked on November 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

you need to file a compliant in superior court to dissolve the partnership you have with him on the real estate.  the cour tcan order it sold , or whatever makes sense.  otherwise- he is an owner like you and you cannot kick him out, or vice versa

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.