If my boyfriend and his wife legally separated a;most 3 years ago, how many continuances can his wife file?

Her attorney has managed to hold up proceedings for the last 2.5 years. They have been through temporary hearings x6, 2 court ordered meditations and now will be divorced by jury trial. The trial was scheduled for 5months ago but his wife asked for a continuance and it was granted. How many continuances of the trial will she be allowed? Our state’s jury trials for divorce only occur every 6 months so each continuance puts us another 6 months away from divorce. Her procrastination is centered around temporary alimony and benefits that she is receiving while still married.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You didn't state if he has an attorney.  If he does  not have an attorney, he should obtain one or at least just schedule a paid consultation with an attorney.  

He should keep in mind that even with an attorney, some litigants use legal manuvers to delay matters.  It is unavoidable sometimes when judges allow such unreasonable delays.  Some judges understand what is going on with thes unwarranted delays and cut it off after the first unjustified delay. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.