My boss was driving my car, had an accident andhe was at fault. My car was damaged. Whose insurance pays for my car?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Accident Law, Indiana


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I assume your boss had your permission to drive the car.  If so, he is considered an insured under your policy and your insurance will cover the damage to your vehicle if you have collision coverage.  Insurance follows the car, not the driver.  However, if you do not have collision coverage, and he has coverage on his own policy, they might cover your damages.  It will depend on the wording of his policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.