What are my right if my boss is not giving me my salary?

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are not being paid by your employer you can file a claim with your state's department of labor. Go on-line and look the site up; it will direct you as to your rights and how to proceed in filing such a claim.  Additionally, if the amount in question is substantial, you may want to hire an employment law attorney to help you collect. Using a lawyer may be quicker than relying on the state (since most have back logs of such cases). Sometimes, just a letter on an attorney's letterhead is enough to let an employer know that you are serious about collecting the amounts that are owed you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.