Is it legal if my boss is telling me that because I work for him, I have to go wake up a co-worker by driving to his house and banging on the doors and windows?

He even told me one time to break a window to get in, and he would pay for it. He tells me that I am being insubordinate by not doing this. Another issue is, my boss is making me pick up/drop off another employee from his house. He tells me that I have to do what he says because I am his employee.

Asked on July 18, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) No, your boss cannot tell you do anything illegal, like breaking a window or breaking and entering. Or rather, he can tell you to do this, but if you do it, *you* are the one who will be arrested--it is no defense to a crime to say "my boss told me to do it."

2) Your boss can ask you to something legal but annoying and unfair, like having to drive coworkers or wage coworkers. An employer may make anything not illegal part of the job, and can fire you, because employment is "employment at will," if you don't do it.

3) If you employer requires you to go somewhere, do something, etc.--like drive coworkers around or go to a coworker's home and wake him--that is *work* time and, if you are an hourly employee, you must be paid for it. Failure to pay you for doing work tasks required by your employer is a violation of the wage and hour laws (e.g. the Fair Labor Standards Act) and you could file a compliant with the state labor department.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.