If my boss has been harassing me and calling my co-workers into her office to talk about me and has just cut my wages without notice, is there anything I can do?

She has been harassing me about my job and having a very nasty attitude

towards me while I am at work. She has called my co-workers into her office to ask questions about me and my personal life. I gave her my 2 week notice, so she cut my wages.

Asked on September 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

This harrassment, while unprofessional, does not give rise to a hostile work enviornment suit. Such a claim must be based on legally actionable discrimination. In other words, it must be based on your race, religion, disability, age (over 40), gender or the like. And this is not the situation here. The only action you may have is if your boss intentially told lies about you which might give you a claim for defamation. As to your pay cut, as long as it was for work not yet done (as oppossed to work already completed) and this action did not violate the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, it is legal. The fact is that, in an "at will" work setting, a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.