If my biological sister doesn’t have our biological father’s name on her birth certificate, can she still receive his retirement pension benefit?

My sister needs proof that our deceased father is her biological father, yet he is not on her birth

certificate. Will she still receive the benefit?

Asked on April 3, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Being on a birth certificate is not the final determination although it certainly helps with the paperwork and running around.  Your sister may need a declaration from the court that your dad is her dad.  Each state is different as to what they require. If he openly acknowledged her as his daughter in his lifetime and people knew then that is a plus.  She should speak with a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.