If my bankruptcy was discharged, including the home where my ex-spouse is living, can I file a quit claim deed so I’m not liable for any future unpaid property taxes?

He is not paying the mortgage or property taxes.

Asked on April 27, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can file the quitclaim deed that you have written about where title to the property is then given to your "ex". Note, the property taxes for the home are not a personal obligation. They are a lien on the home and not a personal debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.