How do I know if I have any legal standing for a claim of wrongful repossession?

My bank statement is showing that I paid my car note (online) on Saturday and the transaction was completed on Tuesday; the bank confirmed that my dealership has taken the money out of my account. Yet, the dealership is denying they received any money and is requiring that I pay another $350 by tomorrow or they are going to repossess my vehicle.

Asked on January 29, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you get the written documentation from your bank showing that the car dealership was paid and send such documentation to the car dealership. If the dealership continues to give you a bad time about allegeldy not making any payment for the last month, contact your local department of motor vehicles and make a complaint against the car dealership.

This governmental entity is in charge of fielding consumer complaints with respect to car dealerships and making investigations as to them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.