What to do if my aunt went to my grandfather’s house while on his death bed and had him sign over 2 car titles to her that she has no intention of paying back?

This was executed on 4 days ago and he died 3 days ago. The hospice nurse said that he was not of sound mind over the last 3 or 4 days. Can the cars be taken back by the power of attorney?

Asked on October 10, 2014 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, not through nothing more than a power of attorney.  A POA is worthless after death.  You would have to go to court and get a court order to reverse the title transfers.  The executor of your grandfather's will should probably be the one to pursue this, to recover the cars for the estate.  Another alternative, if all the heirs were to agree and there is money in the estate, would be to have the aunt buy the cars by giving the other heirs money from the estate off the top to make up for the value of the cars.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.