If my aunt’s husband just died and she has no children or Will, how will her assets be distributed?

We are adivising her to get a Will, Power of Attorney, and Advanced Health Directive

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your Aunt's loss.  It is wise of you to advise her to plan in advance for things.  If a person dies with out a Will then they are said to have died "intestate" and the Intestacy alws in the state in which they reside will govern how their estate is distributed.  Generally if no spouse or childrne then to parents.  If no parents then to siblings.  But the specifics are best asked to an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.