What to do about a Trustee who is attempting to take advantage of an elderly woman?

My aunt has a revocable funded inter vivo Trust in which my cousin is named as standby trustee and my other 3 cousins and I are named as beneficiaries upon her death. Now, my aunt is failing rapidly. The housekeeper recently called to tell me that she has overheard my cousin telling my aunt several times that I am wealthy and don’t need money (implying that I should be removed from the Trust). The housekeeper also said that my cousin has convinced my aunt to assign more assets to him upon her death. Is there anything I can do about this if my cousin convinces my aunt to remove me from the Trust?

Asked on October 31, 2013 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about I would make a complaint with your local department of social services for a perceived elder abuse claim by your cousin. Likewise, I would meet with your aunt with several other people and suggest that she consult with an attorney over what is going on concerning the cousin. One in your locality can be found via attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.