What to do if someone who is handling a Trust is mismanaging things?

My aunt and uncle own a home. Their Trust attorney retired over a year ago so their estate is being handled by an accountant. They are both 95 years old and just moved into an assisted living place. The accountant has no supervision and is making decisions that are questionable; he has unlimited access to their funds. My uncle is uncommunicative but my aunt is sound of mind and feeling totally impotent in terms of control of their estate. Their home has standing empty for over 3 months.

Asked on October 18, 2013 under Estate Planning, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your aunt is of sound mind, then she should hire an attorney to challenge the accountant and have him removed as the trustee.  Find a trusts and estates attorney here in Arizona.  You can use the directory here at Avvo, martindale.com or the state bar as azbar.org.  All are good resources.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.