What can we due to move an insurance claim forward it it’s taking too long?

Mine and my sister’s cars were parked outside of my house and a drunk driver crashed into both of them. He got arrested for DUI. We filed a claim with his insurance carrier but it has been 2 weeks since the accident and we still have no answer or call back from the adjuster. Whenever we talk with a customer care representative they just say that they’re still investigating the accident. They only just sent the appraisers but both cars are still outside our house on the street waiting for an answer.

Asked on February 5, 2016 under Accident Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You and your sister should sign a letter to the at-fault party's insurance company stating that the insurance company needs to expedite this matter and that if the property damage has not been resolved by _______ (set a date for a deadline), a lawsuit for negligence will be filed against their insured.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.